Monday, April 23, 2012

We leave Bangkok tomorrow...some thoughts


I would like to look up the demographics in Bangkok. On the metro, 80% of the people were quite young. Of course these were the lucky ones who could afford to ride the metro. The poor can not afford to go to even the public schools and are locked into poverty. One day we took a cut-through to get to the river and observed the living conditions – terrible. But the wonderful smiles and greetings are the same no matter the social status.

I would like to say I am most appreciative of the Queen Sirikit for preserving the most amazing display of Thai handicrafts. I could use the words “intricate,” “beautiful”, “miniscule work to the point of needing a magnifying glass” but I don’t know any words to describe the mind-blowing skill of these artisans. Royal purses woven from the Yan Lipao vine – small as sowing thread! Beyond-intricate metal works with blue iridescence from beetle wings. Really, I can’t do it justice. I’ve been to a lot of museums and seen some amazing works by the West, the Chinese and the Middle East…but again, my mind was completely blown.

Also, besides an awareness of the intrigal role Buddhism plays in daily life, I’m left with a fuller understanding of the love Thais have for their King (King Rama IX) an artistically talented man who showed great concern for the people and helped them through many projects. The politicians are looked at as greedy and corrupt; no love lost there. In a heartbeat, I would suggest a visit to Thailand to experience this beautiful culture and its lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment